NBA 2K14 bringing back Crew mode
While EA Sports has been very active in releasing information about the rebirth of the NBA Live franchise, 2K Sports has used the slow but steady model for information.
On Wednesday, 2K released major information concerning NBA 2K14
The biggest bit of news was concerning the return of “Crew Mode” in their annual release. Now this is the mode that many players wanted to bring back and they got their wish. Crew mode is where your crew, which includes your created MyPlayer, battles other crews online in 3-on-3 half-court or 5-on-5 full-court battles. The stats from each game is kept on record and there are leaderboards to show who is the best crew from around world. You can even create your own name and logo to go with your team.
While NBA 2K14 will have a dual release on both current and next-gen consoles, this mode was only mentioned for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. There was no mention about the mode being in the game’s release for the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4.
Similar to NBA Live, NBA 2K14 will use Dynamic Living Rosters. Based on real-life performance, a player’s attributes and tendencies will be automatically updated every day to reflect performance. If Kobe Bryant goes on a hot streak and drops 50 points in four consecutive games, his attributes will be positively affected. If Tyson Chandler can’t play defense and point guards just drive past him to the basket, his defense attributes will drop substantially from where they would be right now. This could be a great addition to NBA 2K14 if 2K stays on it daily and doesn’t allow the rosters to either get outdated or if only star players get major changes while others are untouched.
There were plenty of features that were announced on Wednesday, but a few that caught my eye.
- Improved Player Motion System: With an all new motion system, player movements is much smoother on both ends of the floor, while also allowing for much more explosive cuts and tighter control.
- Playbook and Play System Enhancements: The deepest and most authentic playbook gets even deeper. Execute new half-court sets, experience improved spacing logic, and run updated team specific play.
- Shot System Upgrades: More realistic footwork on jump shots, improved awareness in shot selection and a variety of new shot types. Whether you use the new intuitive Pro Stick or the enhanced SmartShot Button, attacking the rim is now more exciting than ever.
- Block Improvements: The block system has been completely revamped for NBA 2K14 with improved ball targeting ad awareness, more realistic physics and more responsive control. All new player collision, the ability to block dunks and more appropriate shot contests make playing defense much more fun and rewarding.
- Expanded Defensive Command: New commands using the right stick, including contesting shot, connecting passes and denying or pressuring the ball.
In NBA 2K14, we also have our old reliable modes that are in the game every year. Here are the returning modes:
- The Association
- The Association: Online
- Training Camp
- NBA Blacktop
- MyPLAYER Blacktop
- Team Up
NBA 2K14 will be released for the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 on October 1. There has been no date for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.